Virtual Book Tour Guest: Vanessa de Largie, author of Don't Hit Me!





Vanessa de Largie is a multi-award-winning actress and author based in Australia.  She was introduced into the world of make-believe when she was 3.  Her mother was a film buff, who made her watch films from the 50's era. Her father, an avid reader and vinyl collector gave her a love of books and music. Combined, her parents influence allowed her to know early on, what she wanted to do with her life.  At 22, Vanessa left her hometown of Perth for Melbourne and within a month, she had a lead role in a play at Melbourne's La Mama Theatre. Over the next decade, she would begin to hone her craft.

In 2006, Vanessa was cast in the lead role of Nocturne, Night of The Vampire, directed by prolific Melbourne film maker Bill Mousoulis. The film earned her the Best Female Actor Award at the 2007 Melbourne Underground Film Festival.  The film was accepted into the main program of the Athens Film Festival, Cork Film Festival and the Brussels Fantastic Film Festival. Vanessa was flown over as a guest. (Nocturne, Night of The Vampire is now distributed by Troma.)

In 2009, Vanessa was cast as the lead in horror film Context, the film premiered at the Razor Reel Film Festival in Bruges, in which Vanessa flew over as a guest.  Context is part of the extras on the American release of El Monstro Del Mar by Breaking Glass Pictures Distribution.  (Unfortunately it isn't listed on the dvd's cover.)

Later in 2009, Vanessa was accepted into the New Actors Workshop in
New York, run by famous film director - Mike Nichols (The Graduate.)  On her return she worked on the film Crazy In The Night starring film director Frank Howson and Prisoner actors Tommy Dysart and Joan Brockenshire.  Vanessa won a second Best Female Actor Award at the 2010 Melbourne Underground Film Festival for her leading role in the film.

In 2011, Vanessa was selected as a Victorian finalist in The Miss Pinup Australia Pageant, where she competed under the title Miss V-Bomb. She was given a spread in Beat Magazine as well as being interviewed by various Victorian newspapers.

In 2012, Vanessa became a freelance writer and mentor for Topic Media, writing over 90 lifestyle articles and winning many writing awards.  That year, she was also commissioned by Australian publisher Hampress to write her erotic memoir Tantric Afternoons.

Tantric Afternoons launched in April 2013 to rave reviews.  Vanessa followed the book's release with 4 more titles - Tough ChoicePowers At PlayLascivious and her latest book, Don't Hit Me!

For More Information
About the Book:

Title: Don’t Hit Me!
Author: Vanessa de Largie
Publisher: Booktrope
Pages: 88
Genre: Nonfiction/Memoir/Poetry/Journey
Format: Paperback/Kindle

#1 Amazon Bestseller 
# Winner of the 2014 Global eBook Award Bronze (women’s studies) 
# Winner of the 2014 Honourable Mention Award London Book Festival (memoir) 
# Five-Star Review Midwest Book Review 
# Five-Star Review San Francisco Book Review 
# Five-Star Review #1 Amazon Hall of Fame Reviewer –
UK 
# 3 out of 4 stars Official Online Bookclub 

Australian actress and author Vanessa de Largie is a survivor of domestic violence. 
Don’t Hit Me is the true diarised account of her time living with an abusive man. The story is conveyed through poems, journal entries and fragments of lyrical prose. The book is a snapshot of domestic violence in real time. Raw, poignant and brave – it’s a tale that will stay with you.

For More Information


Q: Welcome to The Writer's Life!  Now that your book has been published, we’d love to find out more about the process.  Can we begin by having you take us to the beginning?  Where did you come up with the idea to write your book?

All of my life I have kept journals, the pristine white page being my witness.  I found a journal from my time living with an abusive man and I realised I had captured domestic violence in real time.  I decided to publish my raw journal in the hope that my journey would comfort or inspire other survivors/victims.

Q: How hard was it to write a book like this and do you have any tips that you could pass on which would make the journey easier for other writers?

I detest skeletons in the closet.  I am a totally open person.  I believe as long as I am always being honest in my writing - it will make a connection with people.  People can read lies; readers can separate fiction from fact.  This book is about speaking my truth.  That’s the biggest tip I would have for other writers - speak your truth, the rewards will come.

Q: Who is your publisher and how did you find them or did you self-publish?

I initially self-published Don’t Hit Me and it was a great success.  It won two international book awards and received five-star reviews from around the globe.  Nine months later, it was picked up by Seattle publisher Booktrope and re-released as a paperback and eBook.

Q: Is there anything that surprised you about getting your first book published?

Tantric Afternoons (my erotic memoir) was the first book that I ever had published.  It was published by Parisian/Australian publisher - Hampress.  The whole experience was amazing.  Plus it was a first, you only get firsts once.

Q: What other books (if any) are you working on and when will they be published?

My next book is called Without My Consent and it is about a sexual assault I endured in 1997, aged twenty.  How does one make their way back from that?  My memoir explores the aftermath.  It was very healing but at the same time very difficult to write.  It will release in November/December 2015 and will be published by Booktrope.

Q: What’s your favorite place to hang out online?

I love Pinterest.  I am a very visual, creatively driven person.  I love pinning, I find it relaxing and it gives me ideas for upcoming artistic projects.

Q: Finally, what message (if any) are you trying to get across with your book?

Domestic violence is not acceptable or normal.  Do not tolerate it under any circumstances and if you’re in a violent domestic situation, do all that you can to seek help and get out.
  
Q: Thank you again for this interview!  Do you have any final words?

Thank you so much for interviewing me and shining a light on my book. My deepest gratitude.

1 comment:

  1. The food at event halls in Philadelphia was excellent, as was the service, many of our friends and family still rave about it. My wife and I highly recommend this venue.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.